Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls
A gluten-free and dairy-free spin on cinnamon rolls.
IngredientsFor the cinnamon rolls
- 1 tub Earth Balance
- ¾ cup of organic brown sugar
- ¾ cup of organic evaporated cane juice
- ½ tbs dark vanilla
- 6 cups Cin-Dry
- ¾ tbs canola oil
- ¾ cup Instant ClearJel (for dusting & dough cracking)
- 4 cups House Wet
- 3 cups Schmear
- 4 cups Mexican vanilla icing
For the Cin-Dry
- 4 cups rice flour
- 2 cups tapioca starch
- 2 cups instant clear
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ¾ tbs baking soda
- 1 tsp. Sea salt
For the House Wet
- 1 cup cooked mung beans
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup organic cane sugar (optional)
For the Schmear
Gently cream together with fork:
- 1 Kerrygold Butter brick (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups organic brown Sugar
- ½ Cup coconut Sugar or Sucanat
- ¾ Cup of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (convection bake)
- In 6 qt bowl, cream cold butter and sugars together, add vanilla.
- Add Cin-Dry, blend until mixture resembles crumb.
- Add in house wet and oil, mix for 2 min minimum.
- Scale dough and form in rectangular shape.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Dough must be cold to roll.
- ROLL DOUGH: Dough bricks will roll to about the size of a up to a ½ sheet pan size. Remember length equals number of rolls, height equals cinnamon swirls per roll. Roll accordingly.
- Using plastic bowl scraper paint the Schmear corner to corner and smash down the top of the dough brick, as once you roll the dough, you will need to seal it up.
- Convection bake 350°F for approximately 30 minutes. Depends on how thick you have to cut them.
- Let them cool and apply frosting or glaze!
Grains and Flours – What and how much to use?
Gluten-Free cinnamon rolls do not need to be complicated. Just make sure you have a balance of protein, fat, and fiber to keep it all together. Your base flour can be one or all of the following:
STRATEGIC STARCH BLEND 25%
Tapioca Starch Corn Starch
BASE FLOUR 50%:
Rice Flour Almond Flour
Any combination of preferred rice flour and or grain.
PLANT-BASED PROTEIN 10%:
Beans and or Legumes
FAT & OIL 15%: (Added in Layers)
Flax Meal (optional)
Kerry Gold Butter
The Cin-Dough needs a certain amount of wet ingredients to maintain a proper moisture level to not only come together but for a soft texture. You can actually soak grains and blend into a fine paste using your BlendTec and use less or little wet and flour! Adding the soaked grains to the creamed mixture and then adding STRATEGIC STARCH#1A
In 20 or 30 qt bowl, cream cold butter and sugars together, add vanilla. Add Soaked grain paste and Strategic Starch #1B, blend until mixture resembles dough. Add in house small amounts of cold house wet and oil, mix for 2 min minimum. Scale dough and form in a rectangular shape. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Dough must be cold to roll.
ROLL DOUGH: 6 lb bricks roll to about the size of a full sheet pan, apply *Smear
NOTE: Paying attention to the dough is critical for this process. You can add or delete items as you see fit to bring this unique dough together.